Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Of programming and expectations

We all have a lot to learn.
My first programming job was a 'lone' programmer in a group of testers, writing telephony test simulators.
The activity was successful, and after two years I found myself with two workers, making wonderful stuff happen, and changing the way my company works.
After trying, unsuccessfully, to be a beta program manager (Too early for a 25 year old kid...), I was given another programming job, this time under a guru.
The first two months were looking quite good. Re-brushed my c++ skills, got my confidence back, made some stuff happen.
Then came the evaluation talk.
And I got my ass handed over to me.
Seems that I wasn't quite that good, according to my boss. Messy, hard to control, over confident, lots of bugs etc.
I was quite angry after that conversation. Felt like kicking his ass. Luckily for me, I had the whole weekend to relax. And then I understood something. This was actually my first job programming. In the phase before that, I had no one to tutor me. I got great results, but I was the one setting the expectations, as there were none...
So instead of explaining how wonderful I actually am to my boss (Who obviously thinks a bit different), I need to give up my ego, and start learning from him. He was not the one they would fire if I'm not up to par with his expectations...
So I've asked him to accompany me in my next mission, step by step, and make sure I will not fail.
Break down my mission, set expectations and success criteria for each mission.
I know how to write code. I just need to align myself to his methods. And who knows, I might even learn something.
In that particular case, I've learned a whole lot. Both professionally and personally.
The past year I had to give up on a good programmer which chose the other way. After he got handed over to another group, he decided to quit, in the middle of a version.

There are many types of programmers. But the ones team leaders like the most, and are most likely to promote, are the effective ones: The ones who can make the biggest impact, not necessarily the most efficient ones, the hard working, or the more thorough ones. These are great qualities, but they are not enough.

I will elaborate more on how to be an effective programmer from both the manager and programmer perspective, in my next posts.

y.

No comments:

Post a Comment