Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Go Xcode yourself

Got a new Macbook Air 13". It's a neat machine, and osx feels great, even for a windows fan like me.
Office for mac is cool, Webstorm is working, and now I'm brushing my unix skills (Installing mysql and activating the built in php and apache), and setting up my work environment.
The good ol' x40 will remain in the family, and go to my older brother.

Another thing I got a mac for was to begin learning iOS development.
Xcode is the official iOS IDE, and after a little bit of fiddling, I still haven't decided whether I really hate Objective-c, or really misunderstand the language.

The principal is supposed to be simple - Drag and drop stuff to the view, write the outlets (Bad name), write some code and then connect them (By doing lots of ctrl+clicking).

But the Objective-c language is, well, quite weird. And the whole concept is a little more complicated than windows phone IDE, FLEX, or even Android.

I will update more about what I've learned once I do some real programming (Some web request and more elaborate controls stuff) rather than just connecting a slider and button to a label...

In the meantime, I'm really, really enjoying the Air's form factor and great performance. Only minor disadvantage - 13" screen with 1440x900 display = Really really small fonts in some web sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment