Saturday, July 21, 2012

Testing the water with a new iOS app.

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for a fun educational app for my kids.
I've found out that all related apps aren't free, and most are crap. Real crap.
Deciding that something which I can easily implement should not cost, I've started to fiddle with it, and built a simple web prototype in a couple of hours.
When it was nearly ready, I loaded the page on my phone, and gave it to my girl to fiddle with.
Looks like she liked it, I tested it with a couple of my friend's children, and decided to make it an app.

As it's a very simple idea, I've decided to keep it simple, with an entry screen for parents to brag in Facebook that their kids are playing with my app, and also decided to use phonegap (Just so that I'd be able to easily create an Android version, if I wanted to).
Phonegap installation and integration with xcode is very simple, and it also has a cute Facebook native extension, using either the native app, or the web interface for approving posts. (Though for iOS6 it won't be necessary, as Apple would have its Facebook integrated inside its SDK)

The next step was enrolling to Apple's iOS dev program.
Due to the fact that I live in Israel, and not registering myself as an american company, I have to fax (!!!) a purchase form to Apple, along with credit card info. I know, this seems ridiculous.

A lame start, but I'm determined to have my first app published!

I will post more soon, after I begin the app approval process with Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment