Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The new Macbook Air 11 - From a personal point of view

After spending two years with the Macbook Air 13 (2011 i5 edition), it was time to say goodbye, and get a new laptop.
Decision was made very easy with the 2013 Macbook Air Haswell upgrades - The only thing left to decide was whether to get the 11" or the 13", since in terms of performance they are completely identical.
I went with the 11", only because I wanted to experience something new - The difference in weight and form factor wasn't that big, and screen resolution is quite similar.

My usage is quite plain - Running an IDE (XCode, Eclipse or PHPStorm), a stack (Usually AMP or Node.js), and a browser or emulator, and sometimes Office.

My impressions so far - Wow.

Though performance doesn't feel much faster than the 2011 model (Which was plenty fast for my usage), the Air runs much cooler, and lasts between 7 to 10 (!) hours, depending on how wifi heavy I am.
For a machine that weighs almost like an iPad, this is quite amazing.

And when people ask me "Why don't you just get an iPad", I simply say - An iPad with 128GB SSD costs 800$. Add a 100$ keyboard to that, but you still can't run a stack.

Sorry, for me, this is the best laptop in the world.

At least until the next generation comes out ;-)

My new friend, working on InsideMy.co's stack

No comments:

Post a Comment